A post on how I dealt with pregnancy weight is one I have been meaning to write since the longest time. Thanks to ‘Get Fit Stay Fit with Bonhappetee blog chain’ introduced to me by Mandavi from anurbannomadic, I finally decided to share some ideas that most nutritionists share on healthy weight loss. I have been to 4 to 5 nutritionists and found that it is these tricks that always work.
- Start your day with warm water : You may choose to flavour it with lemon, cinnamon, or cumin, all of which aid in keeping the stomach clean.
- Your 3 main meals must be balanced: In simple words, each meal should consist of carbs (chapati or rice), proteins ( pulses, chicken/fish/ curd) and fibre(vegetables). Carb less diet, keto diet , blah blah diet doesn’t work!
- Portion control is inevitable: Go get those simple measuring cups and stick to only 1 bowl (200ml) or 1 katori (100 ml), – depending on your goal and journey- of each of the 3 components (carbs, fibre and protein). It is difficult when you begin and you might feel slightly hungry, but 2 days and your body gets used to the new portion size.
- Even if you can’t plan your main meals, PLAN YOUR SNACKS! : For the simple reason that it is easier to find a balanced meal in any restaurant by making the right choices but very difficult to find the right healthy snack and in those peak hunger hours we tend to reach for anything that’s easily available. So MAKE THE RIGHT SNACK ITEMS AVAILABLE for yourself. Example : Carrot sticks with hummus, a fruit, non flavoured yoghurt with walnuts or raisins, dry bhel, roasted makhana, khakra etc.
- Don’t underestimate the power of daily tasks involving movement! You climbed a good flight of stairs, you taught your child how to swim, you hid behind the chair repeatedly only to be caught by a toddler, you danced with the child, you deep cleaned a section of your house, all of this is exercise! So feel good that you did something and try to add to the overall calories burnt by adding some more if needed so that the body gets at least a good 45 minutes of movement. So if you cleaned the house for say 30 minutes and were almost about to sweat, walk inside the house for another 10 minutes and then head for a shower!
- Don’t suddenly give up your favourite treat: Of course if it is gobbling down 2 pieces of cake in a week then you should cut it down gradually, but say you are a biscuit addict (like me), just cut down the number.No harm in having it as long as you are eating wisely for most of the day.
Keep faith in your body. It loves you back. Just respect yourself and what you put into it and make small but important changes in your life and slowly they shall become a way of life.
I hope these tips make sense to you and help you in kick-starting your fitness journey. Please let me know in the comments below if you would like more snack or meal ideas and I would be happy to share whatever I know .
Also, do check out Mayuri’s fitness journey and get further inspired!
I am so glad I am participating in the ‘Get Fit, Stay Fit’ blog party with Bon Happetee!
Hosted byMayuri’s fitness journey
First Time Mommy
“I wake up tired each day.”
“I am so exhausted by mid-day, I think I need to start taking some multi vitamin”
“You give me so much stress that I now have hairfall that I never had”
“Please go away, I don’t wish to talk, you are irritating me!”
“I exercise and try to be active, also keep a watch on my food intake, tried it all but still I don’t lose any weight!”
Not unheard right? This is part of a typical conversation most women have with their friends, family and spouse on a daily basis. Continue reading
‘Energy’ has been the buzz word for quite some time now, right? One can, on a daily basis hear people speaking about feeling low/high on energy and their need for boost in energy levels and so on. Ask a mother and she will share her own biography on ‘Energy’ .In these fast paced times, we look for quick fixes to all these needs and often reach out to the unhealthy options easily available on the shelves. Some of them may provide us with an instant boost of energy but result in a sluggish us a few hours thenceforth. To add to our misery, we keep reading articles on how we need to stay off anything that’s packed and feel guilty looking at all those stacked packets in our houses. I do. But let’s face it, however true may that be, it is impossible to entirely eliminate ready to eat foods to serve as snacks. We need them. We all do. If only people in the food industry vowed to do their best to produce and make available the healthiest eating options to us. Ready to eat packaged food should not be a problem if it’s ingredient list is good along with harmless/no preservatives. I am always on the lookout for such brands and have fortunately come across a few in my blogging journey. One such brand is ‘Gouri’s Goodies’. Loving this alliteration. Continue reading
Hoping all is well with each person reading this. Even if not, don’t lose heart, for something nice is what’s planned next by the almighty. As for me, I am feeling lighter after that gym session yesterday and in that high of happy hormones just finished half a packet of some junk maida biscuits and now I feel crap about it. I think the only solution is to keep the house free from all of these biscuits and only stock healthier options to keep fitness on track. But honestly, there are very few brands making actual healthy biscuits and snacks . Luckily I stumbled upon YAAZHFOODS that ticks off all qualities on my list of ‘must haves’ in baby food. Continue reading
1.BOOK SMART: If you are travelling by flight, book the seats next to the emergency exits to get more leg room (you may have to pay extra for that though). If travelling by train, please book the lower and middle berths. Continue reading
If you are reading this right now you are most probably a mother.A tired , sleep deprived mother(or even a father-your wife is a lucky woman I tell you), who has tried everything and is here to find if there is anything new that you can try to get that active toddler busy and tired.So no other talks and let’s get straight to the things that you can try!
1. YOUR TODDLER IS THE BOSS, MAKE THEM FEEL LIKE ONE!:
Most of these little humans post crossing 18 months milestone love to get things their way.They love being in control too and as they grow older they enjoy taking responsibilities. ROLE PLAYING is Continue reading
All of us (Well, most of us) strive to do well in whatever we do in our lives. I think I am also one of them. Even if I may not be consciously and evidently putting in a lot of effort in the task in hand, subconsciously I am doing my best! Here’s proof!
- I was part of my school annual shows each year, be it dancing or group choir or part of drama, I was on stage! (unlike today , back then there were a minimum 35 to 42 children in each class, so not everyone was on stage !
And the dance drama continues till date!
- Post B.A , I was confused between pursuing HRM and B.Ed. So I did both! I would attend the B.Ed classes from morning to evening and from evening to night I was at the Post Graduate Human Resource Management classes. Not only did I survive all the tedious projects both courses demanded, I scored the highest marks in practise teaching in my B.Ed batch at ST. Xavier’s and stood 2ND RANK in my PGDHRM course 😀
RECEIVING THE AWARD FOR HIGHEST MARKS IN B.ED (ST.XAVIER’s batch 2008-2009) from DR INDU SHAHANI- SHERIFF OF MUMBAI
- I won the BABBER SHER contest held by Radio City, Mumbai in the year 2010. I was called to their radio station after I won many levels of creative one liners from entries all over Mumbai and beat the other finalist on live radio becoming the BABBER SHERNI! So I proved that SHERNIS are as good as SHERS 🙂
- I won an all India slogan writing contest held by Pepsi .( Maybe I should have been a copywriter in life?) My slogan was chosen the best from amongst lakhs of entries. I was most excited about meeting Ranbir Kapoor than anything else! I appeared on IPL EXTRA INNINGS TV show with Ranbir Kapoor and Gaurav Kapur.
- I left my job as a teacher at a reputed South Mumbai School because they didn’t give me a 10 day leave to prepare for my M.A in English Literature Exam. Not only did I pass with flying colours but I also helped a friend clear these exams by helping her with my notes and explanation when English was her least favourite subject!
- I believe I made a difference in the life of thousands of little souls during my teaching stint of around 7 years. There is no love as pure as that of children and I am grateful I received so much of it!
- I gained over 25 kgs during pregnancy and knocked the post delivery 17 kgs over a period of 2 years! Full post on this some day.
- I managed to complete this post with a toddler at home! Phew!
Apart from this of course, there are many important satisfying roles that we play in our daily lives that give us immense pleasure and a sense of achievement with the results our efforts yield. What would you put as your top achievements in life? Do share!